Thursday 11 March 2010

Blood Orange Curd


Assured by my two source recipes (this recipe and this recipe) that cooking this only took about ten minutes, after putting Greta to bed last night, before Masterchef was due to start, I took up my whisk.

I had already got my ingredients ready, zesting my oranges, juicing them and the lemons. As my citrus fruits weren't very big, I had 8 blood oranges, and 2 lemons, coupled with four eggs, 250g butter, and 290g sugar.

I whisked the eggs in the dish, turned the heat on, realised that I had better get the other ingredients in soon or I'd end up with scrambled eggs, and poured in the juices and the sugar. Stirred everything around until it was well mixed, then added my cubed, room temperature butter.

I stirred that in until it had melted, and went on stirring... and stirring... and stirring. All in all, it took about 40 minutes and the use of a cold plate in the freezer to see if it was anywhere near setting, for me to be sure that it was ready to go in my pots.

I wasn't too pleased about that, but, on the other hand, it did ensure regular tasting- and it does taste very good. I've given one pot away to a colleague, and the other two pots are in the fridge. A tasting will be organised on Sunday morning!

It was still pretty liquid when it went in the pots, but this morning, having left it to cool, it had set sufficiently firm for me not to have to open them and cook it up again. It will no doubt thicken some more in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment