Saturday 15 August 2009

Easy Summer Fruits Cake


We had a birthday party to go to today. The son of a friend- said friend said we could only come "If Heidi bakes a cake". And since I'd been looking at this recipe from Everybody loves sandwiches, I decided to make that. Only with my usual tweaks. First of all, as strawberries were out of season, I used peaches. And second, since I have no idea what canola oil is (rape-seed oil?), I used about 150g melted butter instead. I forgot to put the lemon zest in... and I put a tablespoon and a half of vanilla in. Because I wasn't paying attention!

The batter wasn't as thick as advertised, which was a shame, as I'd saved a sliced peach to go on top, and it just sank into the batter. Not so bad, as my presentation skills are, not to put too fine a point on it, pretty crappy, and something I really need to work on.

I also managed to put my thumb in the top of the cake when I took it out of the mould. Not the end of the world, but inconvenient.

I handed the cake over when we got there. I'd had to put it in a covered dish for the transport, so the top wasn't crunchy any more... but it was still devoured. Two people asked me for the recipe, and several people asked what was in it. One guy was convinced that there were several types of fruit in it, and was surprised when I said there were just peaches. And another thought there was almond in it (now that's a thought for next time).

It turned out to be a very moist, very soft cake. Not one that would age well, I don't think- definitely one that would need eaten within two days of baking at the outside. I'll definitely be making it again!

(Apologies for no pictures- I'm new at the food blogging!)

Easiest Cake In The Galaxy
1 cup flour
1 tbs baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
150g melted butter
1 1/2 tbs vanilla
5 peaches (or equivalent in other juicy fruit!)
1 tbs sugar

Preheat oven to 175C. In a large bowl, stir the sugar into the melted butter. Add eggs, stir to combine. Add flour and baking powder, stir. Add fruit so that it bulks up a bit, because it looks like there's not much there! But don't worry. Butter and flour an 8 or 9 inch cake pan and add in batter. Maybe decorate the top with fruit (hoping). Sprinkle with sugar to make a crunchy top. Bake for 1 hr or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment